Microsoft opens first European store at London’s Oxford Circus
Global technology giant Microsoft has opened the doors to its first store in Europe, with a flagship shop in London’s West End.
Covering three floors, the shop is located just yards from the iconic Apple products store on Regent Street, and is designed to build connections with the local community, businesses and customers; offering the latest technology, products and services from Microsoft and its partners.
“We are honoured to open the London flagship, Microsoft’s newest front door, in the vibrant Oxford Circus”, said David Porter, Corporate Vice President of Microsoft Store.
“It will provide free access to resources and tools for every customer, from Fortune 500 enterprise companies to small businesses to educational institutions to consumers.
“We look forward to providing our UK and European customers, and anyone who visits London, a new way to experience the best of Microsoft from demo to purchase, and with ongoing tech support, trainings and workshops.
“We have some special surprises in store for our London customers and look forward to many years ahead building relationships,”
This flagship is the latest step in the company’s almost 40-year investment in the UK. Microsoft recently doubled the size of its Azure regions to help more organisations digitally transform and is committed to support the growth of digital skills in the UK in partnership with computing education and youth communities.
The company has also announced a £1 million grant to empower more young people across the UK and in our local neighbourhood to access opportunity through digital skills training.
In a two-year strategic partnership with UK Youth, The Raspberry Pi Foundation and The London Community Foundation, Microsoft Store will provide access to digital learning opportunities to reach more young people with coding workshops and to train youth workers to teach digital skills with confidence.
Microsoft Store will also commit store associate volunteer time, skills and resources to support grass-roots community groups in the Westminster borough, with digital and employability skills, it said.
Cindy Rose, Corporate Vice President of Microsoft in the UK, said: “We've wanted to bring a flagship to London for a very long time. Today's opening means that we now have a physical space where we can share the very best of Microsoft with everybody.
“Our ambition is that this is a place where people can do so much more than just shop. It's a place where they can learn new skills, where businesses can grow and where we can build long term links with the communities in our neighbourhood.
“That's why we’re investing £1 million to help train some of the most disadvantaged young people and help support our local community here in London.”
Flagship grand opening
To commemorate the opening of the newest flagship, a series of special events and experiences are set to kick off from the moment the doors open to the public. These include:
- Surface Liberty London. To welcome Microsoft to the landmark retail district in the West End, Liberty London has created a series of limited-edition designed Surface devices. The six limited edition devices will be available via an online charity auction with all proceeds going to UK-based organisation SpecialEffect. In addition, the first 100 customers to purchase a Surface Pro 6 at the flagship on Oxford Circus will receive a free limited-edition Surface Pro 6 Liberty Type Cover.
- Xbox Showcase. From 11th to 14th July, part of the flagship will be transformed into an Xbox Showcase featuring some of the latest Xbox exclusive games direct from E3, playable for the first time in the UK. During the four-day gaming event, attendees will be among the first to get hands-on with the new Project xCloud streaming service and the chance to play some of the hottest upcoming titles like Gears 5*.
- Celebrity Live Stream with a roster of British talent. Tune in to an exclusive gaming live stream featuring top British talent and content creators, including Rocket Man, Taron Egerton, Star Wars’ John Boyega and Premier League and England footballer Raheem Sterling, fellow Premier League and former England player, Peter Crouch, and Chris Stark, Broadcaster. Watch at Mixer.com/Xbox; Twitch.com/Xbox; Youtube.com/Xbox
- Forza McLaren racing experience. Lastly, Microsoft has partnered with McLaren Automotive to bring the iconic McLaren Senna Hypercar in store for a unique racing experience in Forza Motorsport 7. That’s not all, racing driver, Bruno Senna, nephew of the late Ayrton Senna, has pre-set his lap time for fans to try and beat to win prizes!
What’s in store?
John Carter, Senior Store Manager, flagship Microsoft Store in London said: “This is more than a store, it’s a destination, right in the heart of London.
“Our store associates aim to be trusted advisors, providing unrivalled local tech support for businesses, learning institutions and individuals.
“We want to give people amazing technology experiences and learning opportunities.”
The flagship Microsoft Store in London features a range of curated experiences including:
- Answer Desk. A one-stop shop for technical questions, troubleshooting and repairs on any Microsoft product or service regardless of where it was purchased, brand or operating system. Free services include Windows 10 assessment, extended diagnostics on any device, software repair or support, virus and malware removal, PC tune-ups, and more. Or schedule a one-on-one appointment with an expert to get the most out of your technology.
- Community Theatre. A digital learning hub, fully resourced with experts to teach coding and digital skills for students, parents, teachers and small businesses. Coming to London will be free coding and summer camps, STEM Saturdays and SMB Wednesdays.
- Gaming Lounge. London’s newest state-of-the art gaming venue, designed for the community to get hands on with the latest Xbox and PC games, esports gaming tournaments and equipped with Europe’s only Thronos Predator gaming chair for a truly immersive gaming experience.
- Experience Centre. A place to support, train and grow businesses no matter where they are on their digital transformation journey. From small businesses and educational institutions to enterprise customers, our Product Advisors and Cloud Technical Experts will help customers discover, deploy and make full use of Microsoft 365 and other resources to solve critical business challenges like data security, collaboration and workplace efficiencies.
- Oxford Circus Mixed Reality experience. See London’s iconic Oxford Circus like you’ve never seen it before, get transported back in time to see how the area has changed from the 1800’s right through to today.
- Click and Collect. A concierge and Click and Collect desk will mean customers can order online and pick up their product instore, register for a workshop or an Answer Desk appointment.
Jace Tyrrell, Chief Executive at New West End Company said: “We are thrilled to welcome Microsoft to Oxford Circus, the heart of London’s retail district.
“The interactive flagship offers a new hands-on customer experience to our 600,000 daily visitors, bolstering the innovative and technological offering of the West End to businesses, visitors and local communities alike.”
The flagship Microsoft Store in London is open seven days a week and its dedicated team of store associates are ready to bring the experience of tech alive for customers.