Diageo dips toe back into YouTube

Josh Hall's picture

Diageo is experimenting with a return to YouTube following a break from the platform after concerns over brand safety.

The drinks giant is testing YouTube’s new safety features in a series of trials in the US, India, and a number of European countries, as The Drum reports.

Diageo wants the video platform to adhere to the standards set out in its Trusted Marketplace programme, developed in 2017 and outlining its requirements for doing business with media partners.

A number of brands paused their activity on YouTube following a 2017 Sunday Times investigation that found ads for large brands were being placed against extremist material.

While the majority of other big-name clients soon returned to the platform, Diageo was a high profile hold-out, avoiding YouTube for the two years since.

The company says the new trials have so far been successful, but that they will continue to monitor them as they scale.

Diageo global digital director Isabel Massey told The Drum: “What we’ve been doing is working with YouTube to make sure that the changes they’ve made themselves, and the changes we’ve made as part of our own progress uphold the standards we believe are important.”

Entries are now open!

The first Prolific London Awards take place on Tuesday 16th July